Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Fathers Day!

While many people believe that Father's Day is a holiday invented by the fine folks at Hallmark, it's not so. The celebration of Dad's special day can most likely be credited to Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington State, who first suggested the idea of the holiday in 1909.

Mrs. Dodd's father, civil war veteran William Smart, was widowed when his wife died in childbirth with their sixth child. Despite the obvious hardships, Mr. Smart proceeded to raise the newborn along with his five other children, by himself.

It wasn't until Sonora Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent. The original date chosen for the holiday was June 5, Mr. Smart's birthday, however the celebration was postponed until June 19, the third Sunday in June, because there was not enough time to prepare.

At about the same time in various towns and cities across America other people were beginning to celebrate a Father's Day. Some accounts credit Mrs. Charles Clayton of West Virginia, as the founder of Father's Day, although most histories give credit to Mrs. Dodd.

In early times, wearing flowers was a traditional way of celebrating Father's Day. Mrs. Dodd favored the red rose to honor a father still living, while a white flower honored a deceased dad. J.H. Berringer, who also held Father's Day celebrations in Washington State as early as 1912, chose a white lilac as the Father's Day Flower.

In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day, but it never became official until 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson signed the presidential proclamation that set aside the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.


Daddy,
You always wanted to catch me before I fell down, you taught me how to pick myself up, brush off and encouraged me to try again.
You wanted me to learn from your mistakes, yet you stood by and allowed me to make my own even though it broke your heart many, many times.
You scolded me when I broke the rules and introduced me to tough love.
You taught me how to face my fears, right my wrongs and to stand firm in the face of adversity.
You have been my beacon of light in the darkest of times, always keeping your faith in me and never turning your back on me.
You have given me unconditional love, and for that I want to thank you.
Happy Fathers Day!
I would like to wish all the father's out there a Happy Fathers Day!

N Posted by Rain at 6/18/2006 01:17:00 AM

4 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:03 AM  
    Nice post... a bit different than most on this day.. I have to admit I did not know the history... thanks for sharing it!!

    Here via blogexplosion
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:42 PM  
    Well - you have completely changed the template! Very nice! I'm always one for color and pizzazz! Nice post too. Father’s day - interesting how these things can often spring up spontaneously - and at the same time. I wish we wouldn’t always lump holidays together, though. I liked it fine when we had Lincoln’s and Washington’s Birthday as separate celebrations. Every Christmas when I watch ‘Holiday Inn’ - I think about the holidays we have let go by the wayside.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:43 PM  
    Interesting background... here is Australia we celebrate Father's Day in September. I'm not sure that there is a significance to that date.
  • Blogger Rain posted at 8:52 PM  
    Bill, Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please stop by anytime.

    The Fat Lady Sings, Thank you! I am glad you like the new template. I agree completely with you about the hoildays. Some things just don't need to be messed with. =0)

    ChickyBabe, thank you for stopping by! Hmm, Fathers Day Celebrations in Australia, what a great idea for a post! You are welcome back anytime.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home