Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Women in the Arts


Self-Portrait
Angelica Kauffman
Oil on canvas.
Between 1780 and 1785

Angelica Kauffman (1741-1807) was one of the most prominent and respected female artists of the 18th century. During a three-year stay in Italy, the Swiss-born artist made her reputation as a painter of portraits.



Virgil Writing His Own Epitaph
Angelica Kauffman (17885)
Oil on canvas

While in Rome, Kauffman mixed with the English community as well as individuals visiting on the Grand Tour. She also became part of the burgeoning circle of artists, architects, archaeologists, and historians who looked to the Greek and Roman empires as sources for inspiration in their art.


John Morgan
Angelica Kauffman
1773-1789
Oil on canvas

Having made English connections through the community in Rome, she moved to London in 1766. Kauffman soon became a respected society portraitist.



Insane Mary
Angelica Kauffman
1768
Oil on canvas

She joined Joshua Reynolds and Thomas Gainsborough as an early member of the Royal Academy and became one of only two female founding Academicians in December 1768.

********************************************

This weekend I received some rather disturbing news about my oldest son, Rusty (formally known as Punky). He has been arrested and is facing multiple charges including a felony. I refuse to speculate on the issues surrounding his arrest and I will be writing more when the facts of the case come out.

As some of you may know, I am a huge believer in taking personal responsibility for our actions. With that in mind I will not bail my son out of jail or provide him with our family lawyer. This was not an easy decision to make and I need to consider my own mental health. Thankfully my father and Stuccoman (Rusty's father) are in complete agreement with this decision.

That is all for now, have a good day everyone. Comments are always appreciated.

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 10/10/2006 09:29:00 AM

3 Comments

  • Blogger Geoffe posted at 4:38 PM  
    I am loving this retro feel to yor blog over the past few days.
  • Blogger Rain posted at 10:42 AM  
    Aww how sweet, thank you geoffe!
  • Blogger Chris posted at 7:30 PM  
    I hope things are okay for your son. We are going through the tough love thing with our daughter (20) living in Florida on her own. Our thoughts are with you.

    Chris
    My Blog
  • Post a Comment

    « Home