Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Day in Court

Yesterday was a difficult day in the Rain household.

As most of you know my son is in jail and he has been charged with a couple of felonies.
After two continuances my son was scheduled to appear in court yesterday.
His lawyer and the District Attorney confronted Rusty with all of the evidence they have against him.
I was informed for the first time that one of the felonies that Rusty and his co defendant are facing fall under the State of California’s Three Strike Laws.
Rusty’s lawyer does not believe they have sufficient evidence to charge him with his first strike so they asked for yet another continuance.
Both lawyers agreed that this was the right thing to do.
The plan is to try and keep them in county jail for as long as possible for the families sake and spend as little time remaining in a state prison.
So far there is no deal pending for either of them so they are looking at six to twelve years each.
Rusty’s lawyer assured me that by the time he goes back to court in January of 2007 there will be some sort of deal offered.
I don’t believe that there has been another time in which I wanted to give my son a hug so badly and was unable to do so.

Fuck.Fuckity, fuck,fuck!

Oh, and did I mention that there is a third defendant that happens to be a minor, with priors a mile long?

Aww, crap! My son is a dumbass.

Last night while at dinner with friends I was asked what my hopes are for my son in all of this shit.
Without hesitation I replied;

My son is guilty of some of the crimes that he is charged with and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. Therefore, I would like to see him spend a minimum four to five years in jail.
Also, because Rusty has a drug and alcohol problem I would prefer that in addition to jail time he receive a mandatory eighteen to twenty four month residential drug rehab program.
If Rusty does not stay clean during the time spent at the residential drug rehab program, he should go back and finish the remaining time in jail.

I received kudos from the people that were there, saying that they are happy I was remaining so positive and upbeat throughout this ordeal.
I should have been an actress , because I am giving the performance of a lifetime.
Where is my fucking award? I deserve it, dammit!
To be honest, I feel like I keep stepping into a elevator and the fucking floor keeps dropping out from under me.
Once again I am trying to deal with my control issues and everything I try is not working.
The stress of the holidays is becoming unbearable and I know that I must keep going for the sake of my family.
I want to wrap myself up in a cocoon, shut the world out and try and heal our family wounds.
For those of you who understand my personal illness (BipolarII) rapid cycling fucking sucks!

Hmm, I just read what I just wrote and I think I am going to have to make a call to my doctor.

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 12/02/2006 12:13:00 PM

8 Comments

  • Blogger SBB posted at 5:14 PM  
    Rain, I am so sorry you're having to face this. I had close friends that have faced similar situations and a cousin who is currently going to spend the next 20 years of his life in prison. His family still suffers, but I promise you that it does get better. It takes a while, and it's never the same, but it does get better. Just give yourself time and forgiveness. You and your family are in my prayers.
  • Blogger TFLS posted at 11:40 PM  
    Honey - I don't even know where to begin. I don't know what you're feeling. Though my brother has been in and out of jail his entire life - all I ever wanted was for him to stay there. I cannot imagine having this happen to your child. It sounds to me like your son just made a few drug-fueled mistakes. With treatment, and incarceration in the right facility, he can come out of all this with a real future. I guess the key is the facility. You will want something geared more towards rehabilitation. Can that become part of the deal the lawyers will work out? Or am I watching too much TV? I wish I could make you feel better, my dear. Why does life always have to be hard? Why in hell can’t good people catch a break once in a while? For what its worth – I will keep you and your son in my prayers.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:20 AM  
    I'm sorry things are gong so pear-shaped for your family right now. I won't even pretend to know what you're going through. All I can say is; hang in there and try not to stress too much about things that are out of your control (I know thats easier said than done).
  • Blogger Marie posted at 9:07 AM  
    I am glad you got through the day pretty well. I imagine it is tough to deal with a chil in trouble with the law.

    If you can get through this, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

    I too feel linke locking myself in my room and NEVER coming out.

    Please take care
  • Blogger jules posted at 12:55 AM  
    "To be honest, I feel like I keep stepping into a elevator and the fucking floor keeps dropping out from under me." What a totally accurate description of the whole situation. I'm praying for you kiddo. My Josh has a first hearing tomorrow. It's a scary, scary place to be, especially when there's no way I can get down there to be there to "support" him. Hang in there.
  • Blogger ellen posted at 9:39 AM  
    Jules sent me. I never run out of prayers, and I'll keep you and your son in mine.
  • Blogger Rain posted at 9:47 AM  
    I want to thank each and everyone of you for your support. You guys are an amazing group of people and I am so lucky to have found each of you.

    Okay, now that I have all the mushy stuff out of the way I have a doctors appt. at 6:00p.m. =0)
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:17 PM  
    First time visitor to your site, I surfed in through BlogExplosion and got stuck. Completely stuck.
    I feel for you Rain, and think it's great that you are able to verbalize and intellectualize like this - it must somehow be a release to be able to vent?
    Anyway, I'm not a believer so you're not in my prayers, but I'm sending you a whole bunch of sttrength "through the wire"
    /Ms.Take
  • Post a Comment

    « Home