Friday, November 17, 2006

National Surviors of Suicide Day



On Saturday, Nov. 18, AFSP will sponsor its eighth annual National Survivors of Suicide Day, reaching out to tens of thousands of people who have lost a loved one to suicide.

Dear Readers,

I would like to introduce you to my friend Marie Coppla. Marie and I share many common interests including our "Bipolarism" illness, a love for music, naturally curly hair and poetry. We also have a fondness for tall good looking men! =0). Marie is a very talented and published poet who will be having a book of her poetry coming out sometime in 2006-07.

Unfortunately, Marie and I have had teenagers in our lives that have committed suicide. Marie and I have witnessed the grief and agony of the survivors endure on a day to day basis.



Her Angel

You were her angel, her firstborn,
You are now gone and she is torn.
They say childhood is the best part of life,
Who knew that you would pick up a knife?
You did bad things because of your disease,
You lived your life without any ease.
You ran away to escape sorrow in your life,
You lived it in constant turmoil and strife.
You heard night bird's call, it's time to go,
You need to know it didn't have to be so.
You died young, you couldn't live with pain,
I want you to know her life is not the same.
Now you are her angel dressed in white,
You don't live in darkness but in Heaven's light.
Marie A. Coppla/2006

"I believe poetry is a special gift that should not be wasted. Poetry is one way I communicate with the world and express my emotions. My poem "Her Angel" is about someone I know who has lost her daughter to suicide. The poem is my way of sending a message of comfort and understanding to both mother and child. I hope this poem will be a comfort to any parent who has lost a child. I am in the process of compiling a book of my poems to be published some time in 2006-07." ~Marie Coppla


Go on over and visit Marie's sites, The Fledgling and The Poet Laureate...NOT . You will be glad you did, I know I am.


"Death by suicide is not a gentle deathbed gathering; it rips apart lives and beliefs, and it sets its survivors on a prolonged and devastating journey." (Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison, 1999)

For an excellent link, go to the Suicide Reference Library

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone!

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 11/17/2006 09:48:00 AM

9 Comments

  • Blogger Marie posted at 4:24 PM  
    Rain-I am so very honored that you chosen Her Angel for this post. I will be thinking about my niece Brittany all day tomorrow. She was truly an enigma and she was also a published poet.

    I am also participating in the Out of The Darkness Community Walk to honor Brittany's memory. I hope we can find a solution to the suicide problem.

    Take care of you! XOXO
  • Blogger Marie posted at 4:26 PM  
    Remember suicide is a permanent solution to a tempoary problem.
  • Blogger Rain posted at 8:33 PM  
    Marie,

    Most people do not understand that over 60 percent of all people who die by suicide suffer from major depression. If one includes alcoholics who are depressed, this figure rises to over 75 percent.

    Suicide is the fifth leading cause of death among those 5-14 years old. It is the third leading cause of death among those 15-24 years old.Risk factors for suicide among the young include suicidal thoughts, psychiatric disorders (such as depression, impulsive aggressive behavior, Bipolar disorder and certain anxiety disorders), drug and/or alcohol abuse and previous suicide attempts, with the risk increased if there is situational stress and access to firearms.

    If this post reaches just one survior or someone that is thinking of suicide and they follow the links to your site or any of the others included then it will be all for the good. =0)
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:45 AM  
    Thats a beautiful poem. One of my cousins had a mental disorder and commited suicide. We think he wasn't even aware of what he was doing when he jumped off that building.
  • Blogger jedimerc posted at 2:38 PM  
    hmm... I thought I left a post regarding this. Maybe I closed the window too soon. Well, I wanted to say that it was a lovely poem and while I can't quite relate to suicide, I have suffered a sudden loss that almost felt like a suicide when my brother passed suddenly. And I do understand about depression, for after events like these, one can be vulnerable. Still, I've had to remember the consequences, not for myself, but for others, and while I know life is terribly hard, and matters like these often make it worse... how we overcome such things makes life worth living.
  • Blogger Lyndon posted at 4:40 PM  
    I think Marie said it best with her second comment.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:31 PM  
    Rainy,

    Thank you for the post regarding Jay. He will be in our thoughts and hearts forever.

    I can't thank you enough for your support and love you gave us during the hardest time in our lifes. You listened, cooked and offered love to my entire family.

    Love Candy
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:01 PM  
    marie,

    Thank you for writing such a nice poem. My mom liked it too.

    My Auntie Rainy reads poems out loud to me. I am really glad that you are her friend.

    I miss my brother.

    Your friend D
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:14 AM  
    Dear Rainy,
    That beautiful poem you posted for everyone to read titled, "Her Angel" was written by my very talented sister-in-law about her neice, My Angel Brittany. She was my first born, my only daughter and my friend. A part of me died with her....A part that can never be restored. I saw her battle first hand, and I witnessed her valiant struggle to survive; she wanted desperately to live; she died because she thought she had no alternative. She died because her illness won. In my heart I feel I did everything I could to help her know she has never walked alone and tried to show her how loved and important she was to everyone in her life. Suicide IS a PERMANANT solution to a TEMPORARY problem and together we can prevent another family from having to live with this pain that I have to live with every hour of every day. "The life you save today, could be the life that saves yours tomarrow." Never give up. You are not alone. My daughter is an angel in heaven. Marie and Rainy you are angels right here on earth for trying to prevent another life to be lost to suicide. Thanks you. I built a site to remember my special angel. Please stop by and read our story at www.myangelbrittany.piczo.com
    Forever loving and missing my Brittany and forever her mommy,
    Lynette
    Brittany N. Kish 11/29/88-4/11/05
    Forever 16
  • Post a Comment

    « Home