Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat


Wow what a wonderful weekend! I went to the Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park to see a Andy Warhol double feature "I Shot Andy Warhol" and "Basquiat" with my friend Candy. "I Shot Andy Warhol" tells the life story of feminist Valerie Solanas (played by Lill Taylor), who shot Warhol in 1968. The second film, "Basquiat," follows the rise and fall of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat, who Warhol propelled onto the art scene. David Bowie plays Warhol in "Basquiat," and Benicio Del Toro plays Benny, Basquiat's (Jeffery Wright) drugged-out friend, with some great one-liners; "Willie Mays" Willie Mays!" If you get a chance to see these two movies in your local area I highly recommend both of them.
American Indian
by Andy Warhol

We also went to the San Diego Museum of Art which is featuring an exhibit “Andy Warhol’s Dream America: Screenprints from the Collection of the Jordan Schnitzer Family Foundation.” This was a first for Candy, she has never had the opportunity to see any of his works “live”. I am so glad that I was there to experience it with her and see his work through her eyes.


Florence, 1983
by Jean-Michel Basquiat

Jean-Michel Basquiat was a graffiti sprayer in New York who became a celebrated artist. His works are among the most powerful and intense to come out of the 1980's art scene. He painted in layers, using fragments of daily life, words, simple symbols and stick-man figures in order to create a form of art that all could understand and that all could practice. His work can be described as original, primitive, authentic, "an attempt to renew and revitalize art itself".

Source: Emmerling, Leonard. Jean-Michel Basquiat 1960-1988. Köln : Taschen, 2003.


The rest of the weekend was spent at a campsite with my family and friends at Silver Strand Beach in Coronado. We went swimming, surfing and played volleyball. We found lots of silver dollars and many other kinds of seashells. Everyone who came brought food and every time I turned around I was being offered more to eat. It was a dieters nightmare come true and I was in pure bliss. I read a trashy novel and people watched. It was truly one of the most relaxing weekends that I have had in a long time.



Now it is time for us to go back to work and school. It is all good, only four more days until the weekend!

I hope each of you had a safe and happy Labor Day Weekend. Goodnight everyone! Comments are always appreciated.

N Posted by Rain at 9/05/2006 01:13:00 AM

3 Comments

  • Blogger jules posted at 4:06 AM  
    How is it you've got two pictures of the shot of the beach and it's not jam packed with people? I need the location of THAT beach!
  • Blogger Lyndon posted at 4:29 AM  
    Short weeks rock. Glad to see you had a fun Labor Day weekend.

    To answer your question about the profile picture in Blogger Beta. As far as I can tell, it won't show it on your old template.

    Another new problem, if you leave comments on someone's blog who has an old blogger account, it won't let you if your using Blogger Beta :-(
  • Blogger TFLS posted at 11:22 PM  
    And didn't you have fun! I love camping and I love the ocean. Combining the two is pure bliss. I'm glad you had a good time. And I've seen both films. I liked the one about Basquiat the best.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home