Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Playing Catch Up

Playing Catch Up...


Back in the month of May...


picture source unknown

I had my bi-annual health check up that included many blood tests including Hemoglobin A1c, dilated eye exam, foot exam and a clinical breast exam.

I had my very first screening mammogram. A screening mammogram is an x-ray of the breast used to detect breast changes in women who have no signs or symptoms of breast cancer. I was scared to go by myself and at the same time I did not want to share the experience with anyone else. The radiologist was very friendly, professional and she put my mind at ease instantly. The process is fairly simple although it is very uncomfortable having my boobs squished like pancakes.

Thanks for the image Benita!

During this time I had to go to court concerning Rusty four different times. Two of those appearances were concerning his DUI that happened in March of 2006. I came to the realization that for the first time in over five years my son is truly clean of drugs and alcohol and has been for almost a year now. In my eyes this is cause for celebration!



Two weeks before Mothers day I sat in court to hear Rusty plead guilty to three felonies that carry two strikes under California’s Three Strike Law. Needless to say this was one of my proudest moments because I needed to hear Rusty take full responsibility for his actions. I could see and feel the relief of the tremendous weight that we as a family have been carrying on our shoulders. On that day there was another court date was scheduled for what I thought would be a final sentencing hearing only to find out later it was for restitution for the victims of Rusty’s crime spree. Leaving the court room that day I was unprepared for the drama that ensued on the court house steps...



At this point, I want to tell you that I have put myself under a ‘gag order’ because I really don’t want anything to come back to do any harm to myself or Rusty until his final sentencing. However, Rusty has been transferred to the California Institution for Men in Chino, California.

Image source C-boom!


After arriving home I pick up my mail and I noticed a letter from my doctors office which I promptly set aside and start listening to my phone messages. The first message is from the Radiology department saying that they wanted me to call for an appointment immediately for a diagnostic mammogram is an x-ray of the breast that is used to check for breast cancer after a lump or other sign or symptom of breast cancer has been found. Signs of breast cancer may include pain, skin thickening, nipple discharge or a change in breast size or shape. A diagnostic mammogram also may be used to evaluate changes found during a screening mammogram, or to view breast tissue when it is difficult to obtain a screening mammogram because of special circumstances, such as the presence of breast implants. A diagnostic mammogram takes longer than a screening mammogram because it involves more x-rays in order to obtain views of the breast from several angles. The technician may magnify a suspicious area to produce a detailed picture that can help the doctor make an accurate diagnosis.

Please visit The National Cancer Institute for more information..


Good gawd, just another thing to add to an already heavy, full and unbalanced platter that I call my life! To be continued...


It’s hump day...yay! I am so looking forward to the weekend. How is your week going?

Labels: ,


N Posted by Rain at 6/20/2007 11:20:00 AM

9 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:13 PM  
    glad things are improving on the Rusty front. Hope theres nothing serious with the mamograms
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:26 PM  
    I am always here for you and I love you. ~T
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:37 AM  
    And they say "It never Rains in California" Think Good Things and Happy Thoughts..good luck on all the storm fronts!!
  • Blogger Rain posted at 11:00 AM  
    Rav'N~ I should get the results of the diagnostic mammogram back by the end of this week. I am trying to remain positive while and stay afloat for my family.

    T~ You are such a good friend and I am feeling your love :)

    Tom~ You always bring a smile to my face, thank you! *smooch*
  • Blogger Serena posted at 1:54 PM  
    Good luck on the mammogram. My fingers are crossed that everything is fine for you. And hugs on the Rusty front. Been there, done that. It's SO hard.
  • Blogger Marie posted at 7:59 PM  
    Rain, please do whatever you can to take care of yourself. I think you have earned it.

    I am glad to have read that your son has taken some responsibility for his actions. It is a sign that he may be willing to change. I wish some of the people in my world could do the same thing.
  • Blogger The Chick posted at 8:40 PM  
    I'm sure you're a tiny bit worried about the mammogram thingie. When we've got the kids still needing us, it's a scary thought. Here's hoping and praying for good news on that front. And glad to hear about Rusty taking care of business. It's gonna get better, chickie.
  • Blogger Nelsoben posted at 9:42 PM  
    nice layout.love your blog
  • Blogger Politically Homeless posted at 11:46 PM  
    I wish you the best on your mammogram

    I'll resist the dirty minded remarks that pop into my head!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home