Friday, October 19, 2007

Der Vampyr and "Bodies...The Exhibition"



Peter Joseph von Lindpainter, a German musician who also adapted the vampire for the German stage, was a violinist who had studied at Augsburg and Munich prior to becoming the Music director of the Isarton Theater in 1812. In 1891 he moved to Stuttgart as the Kapellmeister of the city’s orchestra, where he would remain for the rest of his life. Throughout his long career he was among the country’s most honored conductors, although he was known more for his technical proficiency and dramatic effects rather than originality. He spent a period in the 1850s as the guest conductor of the New Philharmonic Society in London.

During is long life, he composed 28 operas, Der Vampyr being among the two or three most successful. He set the plot in France and named his vampire character Graf (or Count) Aubri. In the plot, Aubri convinced the father of Isolde, the object of his desire, to break off her engagement to his love, Graf Hippolyte, and allow him to marry her. In the end, Hippolyte fatally wounded him, but as he lay dying, he made Hippolyte swear not to reveal his death until midnight. He had still hoped to prey on Isolde, but she protected herself by claiming God’s protection. As his time ran out, without the needed blood, Aubri died.

Then it first appeared, several months after opera of Heinrich Marschner, Lindpainter’s production competed successfully with the other Der Vampyr, but it was forgotten through most of the twentieth-century until the vampire revival of the 1980s aroused interest in both composers.


*****


This weekend Rainman and I are planning to go see "Bodies...the Exhibition" that features more than 250 "real, whole, and partial human body specimens...dissected and preserved," providing up-close looks inside skeletal, muscular, reproductive, respiratory, circulatory, other human body systems. Many whole-body specimens "are dissected in vivid athletic poses."




The Floss Silk Tree, a conspicuous "autumn bloomer" here and there around San Diego, has been showing off its pinkish or purplish, hibiscus-like flowers for at least a month now. The broad, heavy trunks of this South American import, studded with fat, cone-shaped spines, make it easy to identify. Take a look around...the show of flowers is spectacular!






Please visit;

Susan G. Koemen for the Cure~ Garth Brooks and Komen
Joining together in the promise to end breast cancer forever.

Okay everyone have a wonderful weekend!

Labels: , ,


N Posted by Rain at 10/19/2007 12:40:00 AM

6 Comments

  • Blogger Marie posted at 12:49 PM  
    Rain, just dropping by to say hello! I like the frist picture. I only dream that I can look like that. But I will try and get close. I am changing the direction of the blog a little. I have started my transformation journal. It has been a long time coming.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:52 PM  
    I love my Floss Silk tree, it is beautiful!

    Just like marie I love that picture...I can't wait until we have our annual halloween party ;0}

    love you baby!

    Candy
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:59 AM  
    Hey Rain. I'm back from my blogging funk... I hope. I've heard about exhibits like "Bodies...the Exhibition". Sounds really cool. I'd go see it if it were anywhere near me. Hope the 2 of you have fun
  • Blogger tomshideaway posted at 6:55 AM  
    My sis went to see Bodies...I think it's kinda creepy myself..

    San Diego Son went to see the movie 30 days of night.. Now Vampires are cool!
  • Blogger Cinnamon Girl posted at 7:33 PM  
    The Bodies exhibit is amazing.
  • Blogger Dan posted at 8:55 AM  
    The flower picture that you posted is great but it looks to me more like a Ceiba Pubiflora than a Chorisia Speciosa which are very similar trees that bloom at about the same time of year.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home