Monday, October 01, 2007

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Octobers Pirate...




Sorry I've decided to take this photo down.

Me and my girls in support of...




National Breast Cancer Awareness Month





Most of you already know that I had quite a scare earlier this year after having my first mammogram (here). Recently a very good friend of mine Cheri, was diagnosed in the early stages of breast cancer. My Aunt Yvonne died in 1990 after a ten year fight from breast cancer and her daughter, Leonie is a breast cancer survivor. I am sure that most of you reading this either has a family member, friend or a co-worker that has had breast cancer. Early detection will increase your odds of surviving breast cancer. This post is not just for women, men can get breast cancer also.


Questions to Ask Your Doctor


Learning about the diagnosis and treatment options available may help you to make decisions about your care. The first step in the learning process is a conversation with your physician. Every woman's breast cancer diagnosis is different. What a physician recommends for one woman may not be right for another. Developing a list of questions to ask is a good first start to addressing concerns and getting information. Here is a list of basic questions on advanced breast cancer to get the conversation started.

ABOUT BREAST CANCER

  • What stage is my breast cancer? What does this mean?
  • What are my chances of responding to treatment?

ADVANCED BREAST CANCER

  • Is my breast cancer hormone receptor positive?
  • Why has my breast cancer recurred?
  • Does this mean my treatment will have to change?
  • What are my chances of responding to treatment?

TREATMENT OPTIONS

What are the treatment options for my stage of breast cancer? Why or why not would these treatments help me?

  • Surgery
  • Radiation
  • Chemotherapy
  • Hormonal therapy
  • Biologically targeted therapy
  • Clinical trial participation
  1. What treatment options, oral or injectable, are available for me as an advanced breast cancer patient?
  2. What treatment do you feel will work best for me? Why are you recommending this treatment?
  3. What are the possible side effects of this treatment? Will it make me feel sick? What kinds of food will help me? Or where can I get advice on meal planning?
  4. Will this treatment allow me to continue to be involved in my normal daily activities? If not, would another treatment be better for me so I can remain active?
  5. Will the treatment affect my family? What do they need to know?
  6. Will the treatment affect my appearance? If so, are there other options that will not change the way that I look?
  7. What if my current therapy does not continue to benefit me? Are there any other options?
  8. What types of hormonal therapies are available to me? Will it be beneficial? Is there any treatment I could be prescribed that does not have to be taken daily?
  9. What are the latest advances in hormonal therapies?
  10. How often will I be able to see my health care professional?
  11. How will I know if the treatment is working?
  12. What are the side effects?
  13. How can I manage side effects?
  14. What side effects should I tell you about?
  15. Will I need follow-up care?


OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
What studies are currently under way for women with advanced stage breast cancer?
Do you recommend a clinical trial for me? How can it help?
Where can I get further information on my stage of breast cancer?
Where can I find additional support?
Please be sure to let your doctor know all the medications (prescription, over-the-counter, and herbal supplements) you currently take. Also, check with your doctor before starting any other medication.


Want to know more?

Please visit NBAM

*****

Once again I have a very busy week ahead of me, I will be in court three times to support Rusty. I will be so happy when these issues are resolved. Sigh.

Have a great week everyone!

Labels: , , ,


N Posted by Rain at 10/01/2007 12:20:00 AM

4 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:49 PM  
    Are you serious? Men can get it too? Are there sites that I can go to in order to show my husband? He'll never believe this unless I show him a credible source!
  • Blogger Rain posted at 11:48 PM  
    square 1~ Hello and welcome!
    Most people don't believe that men can and do get breast cancer. I sugguest the following links;

    www.menshealth.com
    www.cancer.org
    www.mayoclinic.com

    thanks for stopping by!
  • Blogger Damiel posted at 3:56 PM  
    You know, as a precaution, i stopped using aerosol deodorant years ago and went over to roll-on or nothing at all ...

    I have a friend who's father has been diagnosed with throat cancer (no metastases - is that a good thing ? )and is in one hell of a state .. i do what i can to be 'there', y'know ..

    Keep your head up, grit your teeth and keep it together Rain.

    God speed & bon Courage
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:05 PM  
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will be sitting down to discuss this with my husband. I appreciate you sharing your experiences and information. Glad you're hanging around the blogosphere!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home