Monday, January 08, 2007

Monday Glamour, a Day Late

Monday's Glamour on Tuesday

Alfred Hitchcocks
"dial M for Murder"
Starring
Ray Milland, Grace Kelly and Robert Cummings

Memorable Quotes from Dial M for Murder (1954)

Tony Wendice: People don't commit murder on credit.
Tony Wendice:
Do you really believe in the perfect murder?
Tony Wendice:
How do you go about writing a detective story?
Mark Halliday: Well, you forget detection and concentrate on crime. Crime's the thing. And then you imagine you're going to steal something or murder somebody.
Tony Wendice: Oh, is that how you do it? It's interesting.
Mark Halliday: Yes, I usually put myself in the criminal's shoes and then I keep asking myself, uh, what do I do next?
Margot Mary Wendice: Do you really believe in the perfect murder?
Mark Halliday: Mmm, yes, absolutely. On paper, that is. And I think I could, uh, plan one better than most people; but I doubt if I could carry it out.
Tony Wendice: Oh? Why not?
Mark Halliday: Well, because in stories things usually turn out the way the author wants them to; and in real life they don't... always.
Tony Wendice: Hmm.
Tony Wendice: No, I'm afraid my murders would be something like my bridge: I'd make some stupid mistake and never realize it until I found everybody was looking at me.
I have watched this movie at least six times in my lifetime. I love all of Alfred Hitchcocks movies!

Grace Kelly and Robert Cummings

Robert Cummings Trivia;


Cummings began a long career on television in 1952 with the comedy My Hero. He was in the first performance of Twelve Angry Men to be televised, a live production that aired in 1955, and received an Emmy award for his role as "Juror Number Eight".

From 1955 through 1959, Cummings starred in the celebrated sitcom, The Bob Cummings Show (shown in reruns as Love That Bob), later followed by The New Bob Cummings Show, 1961–1962. He also spent a season starring in My Living Doll (1964), another sitcom. His last significant credit was the 1973 TV movie Partners in Crime, also starring Lee Grant.


Cummings married five times and sired seven children. He was a staunch advocate of natural foods and a healthy diet and authored the book Stay Young and Vital (1960) on health foods and exercise.

Grace Kelly and Ray Milland

Ray Milland Trivia:


Gave the shortest acceptance speech of any Oscar winner: he simply bowed and left the stage.


The popular hard rock band Local H recorded a song entitled "Ray Miland" (whether or not the actor's name is misspelled intentionally is unclear) as a b-side to their album "As Good as Dead." The song's lyrics describe a person experiencing moments of clarity in what seems to be an alcoholic haze.

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly Trivia;

She was the first actress to appear on a postage stamp. (Source: The Book of Useless Information, 2002)

Grace Kelly is mentioned in Billy Joel's history themed song "We Didn't Start the Fire" ("Princess Grace").

The French haute couture fashion house Hermès named one of its most famous, and now most sought-after, products for Grace Kelly—the "Kelly Bag." Waiting lists of up to two years are not unusual for this handbag, and prices start at $5000 for the small version in plain leather and soar over $50,000 for crocodile skin or other unusual materials. The late Diana, Princess of Wales had to wait for almost a year to get an ostrich skin version of one.

The classic head-cover of a silk scarf crossed under the chin and knotted at the side or nape of the neck is universally known as the "Grace Kelly". This chic look is still copied by many female Hollywood stars when they wish to retain a degree of anonymity in the public eye. Famous users include: Sharon Stone, Madonna, and Annette Bening.

When I was a little girl I wanted to be Grace Kelly! She was so beautiful, I suppose that it is nearly every girls dream to one day be a "real life" Princess. Maybe someday my Prince will come..

Have a great day everyone!

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 1/08/2007 11:53:00 PM

6 Comments

  • Blogger jules posted at 7:10 AM  
    When you do find your prince, see if he has a brother for me!
  • Blogger Lily posted at 8:02 AM  
    Because nothing says anonymous like a silk scarf and sunglasses!!!

    See I would have thought Jacki O popularized that look.
  • Blogger jedimerc posted at 12:14 PM  
    I noticed the reference to 'We Didn't Start the Fire'... one of my fave Billy Joel songs on one of his better albums (Storm Front).

    Oh, and can never go wrong with Grace Kelley :)
  • Blogger TFLS posted at 2:48 PM  
    Great film - great play. I've directed the play version before. Wonderfully constructed plot. I really didn't like the Gwyneth Paltrow version all that much.

    By the way - I've tagged you for a MEME. Just stop by my place for the details.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:19 PM  
    Never really got into Hitchcock movies. Read and liked some of his books, but the movies never appealed to me. You couln't have picked a more apropriate subject than Grace Kelly tho for a post about glamour.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:32 PM  
    Terrific movie that I watch at least once a year.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home