Wednesday, January 10, 2007

With Sadness...

Wednesday was a very difficult day in the Rain household.

My son Rainman lost a good friend and long time classmate 16-year-old Dana Hooter this morning. Police were called early Wednesday morning on a non breathing female. The paramedics arrived and attempted to revive her, unfortunately she was pronounced dead at the scene.

An investigation revealed that the girl's boyfriend, Erin Correa, allegedly gave her an injection of a “street drug,” Rooney said. He declined to say what type of drug was involved. He has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Needless to say, Rainman among others were devastated when they heard the news. Unfortunately there were not any grief counselors present at his high school to help deal with all of Dana's friends. I will tell you that the entire staff at Rainmans school handled the situation the best way they knew how and I give them kudos for a job well done.

Rainman and I have always had good communication and tonight over dinner there were more questions than answers. I warned Rainman of the problems associated with rumors and speculation especially in a high school situation. It makes me feel good that Rainman feels that he can talk to me openly about anything without fear of getting into trouble. To be honest our conversation left me emotionally exashusted and grateful that I can tell him I love him, give him smooches, hugs and that I know exactly where he is tonight.

Dana will missed by all of her friends and family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hooter family.

I will continue to follow this story in hopes that justice will prevail. Sigh.

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 1/10/2007 11:58:00 PM

8 Comments

  • Blogger mikster posted at 2:27 AM  
    What a shame.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:05 AM  
    my first time here....
    i heard about this on the news this morning. very, very sad. my thoughts will be with her family and yours. my daughter lost 2 good friends when she was in high school, you are doing the best thing possible to help him through it.
  • Blogger jules posted at 12:47 PM  
    Very sad. But glad you and Rainman can communicate. It helps alot.
  • Blogger jedimerc posted at 4:09 PM  
    Man, that is tough and I hope that justice does prevail as well.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:28 PM  
    thats so sad. I hope justice is done as well and I'm glad for you that you have such a good relationship with your son.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:27 PM  
    What a tragic end to a young girl's life. My thoughts and prayers go out to the hooter family at this difficult time.
  • Blogger Politically Homeless posted at 6:08 PM  
    How tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:09 AM  
    Hi Rain . I came here through Brians weekend round-up. It does feel good when our children trust us with their problems and questions that kids normally wouldn't ask a parent . I have a daughter that will be 15 in 2 months so I understand about your child trusting you. My thoughts and prayers go out to this girls family and friends. Have a good day!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home