Friday, November 16, 2007

Signs of the Times


Signs of the Times
by
Paul Laurence Dunbar


Air a-gittin' cool an' coolah,
Frost a-comin' in de night,
Hicka' nuts an' wa'nuts fallin',
Possum keepin' out o' sight.
Tu'key struttin' in de ba'nya'd,
Nary a step so proud ez his;
Keep on struttin', Mistah Tu'key,
Yo' do' know whut time it is.
Cidah press commence a-squeakin'
Eatin' apples sto'ed away,
Chillun swa'min' 'roun' lak ho'nets,
Huntin' aigs ermung de hay.
Mistah Tu'key keep on gobblin'
At de geese a-flyin' souf,
Oomph! dat bird do' know whut's comin';
Ef he did he'd shet his mouf.
Pumpkin gittin' good an' yallah
Mek me open up my eyes;
Seems lak it's a-lookin' at me
Jes' a-la'in' dah sayin' "Pies."
Tu'key gobbler gwine 'roun' blowin',
Gwine 'roun' gibbin' sass an' slack;
Keep on talkin', Mistah Tu'key,
You ain't seed no almanac.
Fa'mer walkin' th'oo de ba'nya'd
Seein' how things is comin' on,
Sees ef all de fowls is fatt'nin' —
Good times comin' sho's you bo'n.
Hyeahs dat tu'key gobbler braggin',
Den his face break in a smile —
Nebbah min', you sassy rascal,
He's gwine nab you atter while.
Choppin' suet in de kitchen,
Stonin' raisins in de hall,
Beef a-cookin' fu' de mince meat,
Spices groun' — I smell 'em all.
Look hyeah, Tu'key, stop dat gobblin',
You ain' luned de sense ob feah,
You ol' fool, yo' naik's in dangah,
Do' you know Thanksgibbin's hyeah?


*******


FYI

Roaming Tarantula Spiders are occasionally seen this time of year crossing rural roads or marching through some of San Diego's canyon-bordering neighborhoods. Doggedly searching for a mate, a male will try to hold its course despite your best effort to deflect or hinder him. Docile in temperament, most tarantulas will tolerate gentle handling; they may bite, however, if provoked. Despite their fearsome reputation, tarantula venom is less powerful than a bee's.

*******


Let the Thanksgiving preparations begin!


I have checked my pantry, freezer, cupboards and made my shopping list. I am determined not to forget anything this year. Last year it was cinnamon and the year before that I forgot pearl onions. I do know one thing; I have a good supply of the “special ingredient” that I put in everything I cook...lots of love! Yep, that is my secret to a great meal.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Labels: ,


N Posted by Rain at 11/16/2007 12:01:00 AM

4 Comments

  • Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful posted at 9:50 AM  
    Wow. I had no idea that Tarantulas lived near San Diego. I was fascinated that their bite has less venom then a bee!!

    I love learning new things. I'm a voracious reader and learner. It keeps my mind sharp as they say I guess.

    Happy T-day!! We'll be in Florida at Disney World for the holiday.
  • Blogger LZ Blogger posted at 8:08 PM  
    I for one didn't know that about Tarantulas. In fact I spent the first 50 years of my life in Orange County, CA and never even saw one. ~ jb///
  • Blogger Rain posted at 8:08 AM  
    True Story- When I was eighteen I attempting to pull into my parents driveway when I heard this "pop". When I got out to investigate I realized that I ran over a Tarantula.

    A few years later my son Rusty was watching cartoons, laying in front of the t.v., when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a Tarantula crawling towards him. We caught him in a glass jar, walked one block from my house and set him free in the canyon.
  • Blogger Rain posted at 8:09 AM  
    Oh shoot! That is "I was attempting"! LOL
  • Post a Comment

    « Home