Monday, January 22, 2007

Monday's Glamour


It Happened One Night

Awards;

Best Picture - Columbia Pictures (Harry Cohn, producer)
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Clark Gable
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Claudette Colbert
Best Director - Frank Capra
Best Writing, Adaptation
- Robert Riskin
This movie has also been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

Ellie: There is a brain behind that face of yours, isn't there? You've got everything nicely figured out for yourself.

Ellie: You think I'm a fool and a spoiled brat. Well, perhaps I am, although I don't see how I can be. People who are spoiled are accustomed to having their own way. I never have. On the contrary. I've always been told what to do, and how to do it, and when, and with whom. Would you believe it? This is the first time I've ever been alone with a man!...It's a wonder I'm not panic-stricken...Nurses, governesses, chaperones, even bodyguards. Oh, it's been a lot of fun.


Ellie: "Listen, if you promise not to do it, I'll pay you. I'll pay you as much as he will. You won't gain anything by giving me away, as long I'm willing to make it worth your while. I've got to get to New York without being stopped. It's terribly important to me."

Peter: You know, I had you pegged right from the jump. Just a spoiled brat of a rich father. The only way you get anything is to buy it, isn't it? You're in a jam and all you can think of is your money. It never failed, did it? Ever hear of the word humility? No, you wouldn't. I guess it would never occur to you to just say, 'Please mister, I'm in trouble, will you help me?' No, that would bring you down off your high horse for a minute. Well, let me tell you something, maybe it will take a load off your mind. You don't have to worry about me. I'm not interested in your money or your problem. You, King Westley, your father. You're all a lot of hooey to me!


Peter hangs a blanket between the twin beds in their rented room

Ellie: That, I suppose, makes everything quite all right?

Peter: Oh this? Well, I like privacy when I retire. Yes, I'm very delicate in that respect. Prying eyes annoy me. Behold the walls of Jericho! Uh, maybe not as thick as the ones that Joshua blew down with his trumpet, but a lot safer. You see, uh, I have no trumpet. Now just to show you my heart's in the right place, I'll give you my best pair of pajamas

Peter offers Ellie his pajamas - she ignores them - so he tosses them at her

Dang, Clark Gable looks good doesn't he? I would have jumped his bones at this point!


Peter: You don't want to join the Israelites? Alright.

Peter: Perhaps you're interested in how a man undresses. You know, it's a funny thing about that. Quite a study in psychology. No two men do it alike. You know, I once knew a man who kept his hat on until he was completely undressed. Yeah, now he made a picture. Years later, his secret came out. He wore a toupee. Yeah. You know, I have a method all my own. If you notice, the coat came first, then the tie, then the shirt. Now, uh, according to Hoyle, after that, the, uh, pants should be next. There's where I'm different... I go for the shoes next. First the right, then the left. After that it's, uh, every man for himself.

Claudett Colbert had a great pair of legs!


Ellie: What do you say we're supposed to be doing?
Peter: Hitchhiking.
Ellie: Oh. Well, you've given me a very good example of the hiking. Where does the hitching come in?
Peter: A little early yet. No cars out.
Ellie: If it's just the same to you, I'm going to sit right here and wait til they come.


Ellie: [on Peter's hitchiking skills] There's no end to your accomplishments, is there?
Peter: It's all in that ol' thumb, see?...that ol' thumb never fails. It's all a matter of how you do it, though. Now, you take number one, for instance. That's a short, jerky movement like this - that shows independence, you don't care whether they stop or not. You've got money in your pocket, see...
Ellie: Clever!
Peter: But number two, that's a little wider movement - a smile goes with this one, like this, that means you've got a brand new story about the farmer's daughter...
Ellie: Hmm, mmm. You figured that out all by yourself!
Peter: Number three, that's the pits. Yeah, that's a pitiful one you know. When you're broke and hungry and everything looks black. It's a long sweeping movement like this, but you've got to follow through though...
Ellie: Oh, that's amazing.
Peter: It's no good though, if you haven't got a long face to go with it. Keep your eye on that thumb, baby, and see what happens. [a car drives by without stopping]
Ellie: I still got my eye on the thumb.
Peter: Something must have gone wrong. I'll try method number two.
Ellie: When you get to 100, wake me up.
Peter: [after failing to get over a dozen cars to stop] I don't think I'll write that book after all.
Ellie: Let me try.
Peter: You? Don't make me laugh.
Ellie: Oh, you're such a smart alec. Nobody knows anything but you. I'll stop a car and I won't use my thumb.
Peter: What're you going to do?
Ellie: It's a system all my own.

She pulls her skirt above her knee and the next car screeches to a halt.

*******

I watched this movie early Friday afternoon and if by chance you have not seen it, you really should. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable are funny and really easy on the eyes if you know what I mean. ;0)

All I wanted to do this weekend was stay in bed under the covers however a couple of friends had different plans in store for me. I am lucky to have such wonderful friends in my life...including those of you out there in the blogosphere. I love each of you and again thank you for all of your support.






Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 1/22/2007 11:19:00 AM

4 Comments

  • Blogger astrologymemphis.blogspot.com posted at 2:02 PM  
    Daaaaamn, girl! That's a hot avatar. Is this the same blog I visited a few days ago or am I delusional? Very sexy!
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:58 AM  
    I love Monday Glamour! I love those old movies, they make me feel so cozy when I get to curl up and watch them.

    The women were so beautiful and the men- so sarcastic and funny. Dont you just get a crush on them all, every time, Rain?

    I just dont get into modern movies in quite the same way.

    Cary Grant's another one...((phew))
  • Blogger TFLS posted at 3:31 PM  
    Pretty fabulous film, honey. I watch it often - it never gets stale. The acting is top notch, the writing intelligent and colloquial for the times; and pairing Colbert with Gable was magic. This is, hands down, one of the best comedies ever made. As I'm sure you know - sales of undershirts plummeted the minute American men saw that undressing scene. Gable wasn't wearing any, if you remember. I wonder what might have happened had the Hayes code not been in place and Gable stripped down to his BVD's? The phrase ‘boxers or briefs’ may have little or no meaning!
  • Blogger astrologymemphis.blogspot.com posted at 12:45 AM  
    I hope you think this is funny - I thought I was visiting a new friend's blog when I landed here, and I realize my mistake now. All the same, I'm glad I found this one and I'm happy to meet you. You have a link in my sidebar ... right beside the other Rain.

    Gorgeous fans, btw. Beautiful art here.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home