Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Thank Goodness for Air Conditioning

Fan fashions across the ages are on show at the Queen's Gallery.

Once an essential accessory, fans have been passed down the Royal Family for centuries.



Fan thought to have belonged to Charles 1, c1600
The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace


Ivory Cockade fan, 1790

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace

The folding fan was introduced from China in the late 16th century.Made as a gift for the future George IV, this Cantonese fan unfolds to form a full 360 circle.


Queen Alexandra's Ostrich feather fan

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace


Fans became personally associated with their owners. Queen Alexandra gave this fan to her daughter-in-law Queen Mary, who in turn gave it to Queen Elizabeth, the future Queen Mother.


Marie Antoinette's fan, c 1720-30

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace


Fan-makers used materials from all over the world, including bone, ivory, tortoiseshell and mother-of-pearl.


Marriage fan with a wedding feast, c1750

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace

During the 17th century, fan decoration evolved from the purely ornamental into figurative subjects.



By the late 19th century more exotic materials were used, such as Capercaillie feather...


Capercaillie feather fan c 1893

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace

You are all probably wondering, why is she highlighting fans? Well, I have a small collection of six fans from all over the world. I was given my first fan from my Dad, the fan was originally his great grandmothers. I fell in love with her fan instantly, it is so beautiful and it is made of carved ivory. In my opinion, fans such as those above are not just a fashion accessory, they are works of art, each unique and have a story all of their own.

On a personal note;

Tokoda ~ ***this has been edited. sorry if you missed it. *** =0)

Have a great week everyone!

Labels:


N Posted by Rain at 1/23/2007 07:28:00 AM

10 Comments

  • Blogger TFLS posted at 3:49 PM  
    Those fans are really gorgeous, my dear! Wow! I understand your interest in them. I came across some really nice ones when I was living in Japan. They take fans seriously there; and consider them opportunities for artistic expression. Fan tattoos are not unusual - even for men.
  • Blogger MsCarolM posted at 5:07 PM  
    Those are some really beautiful fans! I think I like the Wedding fan the best.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:15 PM  
    We're in the middle of summer right now, so anything that can make things even a little bit cooler has my interest.
  • Blogger Tisha! posted at 1:30 AM  
    lovely accesories!
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:45 AM  
    They are absolutely gorgeous.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:21 AM  
    i'm thinking they would be especially nice when you had someone else to fan you with them...

    ;-)
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:05 AM  
    These fans are beautiful, Rain...just like you :)

    Shoot I missed the note to Tokoda! Probably just as well...I don't want to get my hopes up to high. I know you are both just friends, blah, blah.
    XOXO Candy
  • Blogger pissed off patricia posted at 1:55 PM  
    Each is more beautiful than the next. Thank goodness they were preserved.
  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:30 PM  
    Wow, just beautiful. I especially like the Ostrich feather Fan. That looks just unbelievable.
  • Blogger SBB posted at 8:57 AM  
    Lovely fans.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home